Monday, June 27, 2011

TCP New Release Blog Hop!


Finally the time is here! The new release from The Cat's Pajamas is available for purchase! And I think this is hands down, the best release Alma has ever put out:) From the super fun summer stamp sets, to the fabulous coordinating Cutup dies, this release is jam-packed full of swank!

As one last new-release-hurrah, the DT and guest swanky stampers have put together a fun blog hop for your viewing pleasure:) You should have arrived here via April's Swanky Stamper, the lovely Linda Nicholson's blog.

Plus it's TCP Tuesday and Leigh has provided with a pretty swanky sketch! Oh yeah, if you want to start at the beginning of the hop, go here to her blog.


For my project, I wanted the focus to be on the fabulous new Lacey Butterfly Cutup die. See what a nice size it is for cardfronts? (this is a standard A2 size).... It's a great accent piece too, but I wanted to make it the main focal point. And I flipped the sketch on it's side.


Here is a cool little fact about this card: See that newspaper clipping? Well, when my grandma passed away, I got a stack of her sewing patterns. When I was digging some of the tissue paper that is used to trace patterns onto, I found that she had traced one of the patterns onto old (and I mean OLD) newspaper. One side was actually WWII updates! Although very interesting, war battles was not the theme that I was aiming for with this card;), So I used the other side, which was regular sorts of articles and advertisements. The add about sunburns that you see at the bottom of the clipping tells you to apply vaseline to any burns:) haha! And the top article about coffee is referring to the public uproar over restaurants raising the price of a cup of coffee to 10 cents! If they could only see the price of a Grande Caramel Machiatto at Starbucks today!!!! lol!

As mentioned, I used tissue paper cut with the new Butterfly Cutup die to make this dimensional butterfly...not sure how many layers, but there were ALOT! I first cut one butterfly with CS to give a sturdy 'base'. I then stitched all of the tissue butterflies to that base. This is a pain. This kind of tissue tears extremely easily! (plus it's 60+ years old, so that can't help) I added SU's adhesive pearls for the 'body' to cover up the stitching and add interest. I did a ton of sponging on this card as well, to lend to the vintage feeling. Even the tissue got an overall inking of chocolate chip ink (carefully;) I embossed my center oval nestie with a large dot folder and inked the top to bring out the pattern as well. Same with the blue floral pattern that was embossed with a vine patterned folder.

Here is a view of the card flat, and you can see how 'fluffy' the butterfly really is. I might have went overboard a touch, but I am kind of a 'more is more' kind of girl;) You can also see that most of the layers are popped up on dimensionals and foam tape.

On the inside, I used an SU! punch with a similar design as the lacey oval spellbinders die, some coordinating paper and a sentiment from the set 'Bearing Flowers'.
Next on the blog hop is colour queen Her Highness Tori Wild;) I'm sure she has whipped up something amazing to share with you!!
As always, thank you for stopping by!
Jenny

11 comments:

Ana Wohlfahrt said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Loving that cutup!!

Alma de la Rosa said...

It may have been a pain, but it sure is PURDY! Love all those tissuey layers.

Nancy Thomas said...

Love the layers of upon layers of the butterfly. A great vintage card.

Linda Nicholson said...

What a gorgeous card! Love the vintage newspaper and tissue, what treasures from your family. The butterfly is exquisite!

Linda

Leigh OBrien said...

WOW-WEE...so lovely, Jenny. I'm gonna have to dig out some old patterns from my stash and give it a try!

Unknown said...

Fabulous vintagey card!! I applaud you being able to cut up those papers and tissues - I always chicken out, but they look wonderful on your card!!! Love this!

Michele Boyer said...

GORGEOUS! I love all the layers of the butterfly! Absolutely gorgeous!

g said...

WOW WOW WOW- what a gorgeous card! your butterfly is stunning!

Scrappychick said...

WOW!! This is lovely!

Unknown said...

Oh gosh, Jenny, this is BEYOND gorgeously fabulous! Ack! I love those vintage papers you used. The pop of blue behind the layered butterfly is so awesome. I love the card, the whole thing. :) yeah, back in those days, I'm sure the idea of 4$+ for coffee was total insanity! Buuuut, I'm still planning on swingin' by good ol' "Bucks" in the morning;) Ev started calling it that & my hubby thinks it's funny, considering how many bucks we spen there;) have a great day, Jenny! :)

Gabby said...

WOW! Another stunner! This card is delightful as well. The vintage feel, with all of the layers of textures, elements and the "extra" touches, such as the sweet coloring on the embossed pane ... fantastic. And I agree, that pop of blue, same as your card base, behind the incredible butterfly is outstanding. Love this card! :)