Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Is Red Riding Hood A Superhero or Something?

That's what Jake asked me when he saw that she wears a cape....I said "no, it's not a superhero cape...it's just a cloak to keep her warm in the crisp fall air when she's wandering the woods". After that he wasn't nearly as interested. Oh well! lol
I made this card using a cardabilities sketch and am submitting it for this weeks Kraftin Kimmie Challenge (Distressing).

I stamped little Red in memento ink onto choice snowhite and cut the image out using a nestie die. I then stamped her a few more times onto different dp's and paper-pieced her clothes. I stamped her again onto CS and coloured her with copics and spicas. I didn't want her face and hands to seem sunken, so thats why I added those parts again to the very top. All the layers are exremely distressed, lol!! I love distrssing, so I was happy to do it again on this challenge. I get so carried away that I generally tear my dp almost right in half (but i don't even worry about it- just cover it with another panel and it;s fixed!! No problem if there is a rip mark- just adds to the distressed effect. Crooked panel- No worries!! Uneven, crooked stitching- Again, NO worries!! Maybe thats why I love distressing soooo much. Leaves alot of room for error;) I also sewed around the edges of all the panels with a straight stitch. The sentiment is stamped and punched with SU oval punches. I added a rolled rose die from MFT, distressed the edges and jammed some crochet ribbon in the center. I'm never happy with the way my rolled flowers turn out, so I think I am going to have to find a video on you tube or something that show's me how to do it properly. The sketch didn't call for a ribbon, but I thought that it needed something in the middle. I am totally in love with SU's crochet ribbon!! I have never used these little hat pins before, but I thought that with the distressing, sewing, crochet ribbon and colour scheme that this card had a vintage feel and pins would suit it. I'm really happy with the way they added the finishing touch to the card.

The inside is distressed as well, and I used the same nestie set, only a smaller ones turned horizontal. I sponged the inner one as well using River Rock and Toffee ink. The little candy dots were originally intended for the card front before I remembered the stick pins and decided to go with them. I think that they are cute and not too flashy..nice for the soft look of the card. And a little strip of crochet to finish it off:)
Thanks for looking:)

Recipe:
Stamps: Kraftin Kimmie
Ink: Memento tuxedo black, SU River Rock, Colourbox Chalk Ink- Toffee
CS: SU (river rock), TE (choice snow white)
DP: My Minds Eye (Holly Jolly collection)
Other: Spellbinders, Rolled Rose Dienamic (MFT), punches (SU), stick pins (making memories), copics, spica glitter pen- clear, crochet ribbon (SU), candy dots (Your Next Stamp), sponges, sewing machine, thread, bigshot, distressing tool



2 comments:

Karli said...

great take on the sketch. Luv all the distressing! Great card & thanks so much for joining us at cardabilities :) Hope you'll join us again with another fab creation!

Michele Boyer said...

Sooo cute! FAB distressing, especially that flower! Love it!