Wednesday, November 3, 2010

WSC/ Little Nurse

Hello out there! I thought that I'd try my luck over at MFT wednesday stamp club challenge. The challenge for this week is a sketch challenge:


When I'm not at home being a full time mama, I am a Registered Nurse, so any 'nursey' stamps always catch my eye. I've had this little MFT nurse girl partially coloured for a few weeks now. I purposely had left her dress and apron bare as I knew that I'd want to paper piece it. Since this sketch called for an oval I thought she'd be perfect! I was originally going to go with OA paper...I knew that I wanted that vintage, eclectic kind of look, and the lines from Thrift Shop and Fly a Kite are good bets, but then I remembered this paper I picked up last week. It's The Girls Paperie and I am IN LOVE!!! I'm gonna have to pick some more up next time I'm in town...it was on sale, so hopefully it's still there (there's always good ol' internet shopping if it isn't;)
Her nurse's cap is a little out of the box and I popped it up a bit with a dimensional to give it a 3D look. I coloured her with copics and shaded around her feet with a prismacolour pencil. Her dress is paperpieced with some dp and her apron with a denim scrap. I cut her out with an oval nestie and a scalloped oval nestie in real red behind her. The layers of dp are all stitched and distressed around the edges. The denim ric rac border strip is cut from a MFT die and the sentiment is punched with SU punches. I left the threads dangling, as I thought it would add to the overall effect I was going for. I punched cs and dp with my 1" and 3/4" circle punches, spritzed them with water and crinkled them up. I then added a cute little designer brad to the center and viola- my very own homemade flower embellie that coordinates perfectly with my card:)


For the inside, I used the same dp as the front, flipping it over to the green side and cutting a ric rac strip. I sewed that to the main panel using a zig zag stitch. The sentiment also comes with this set, and I broke it up in to a 3 line verse to fit in my punched small circle. I then inked the edges with chalk ink. The denim was cut using a PTI die. I also cut the same die out using 2 sided sticky paper and stuck that to the back of the denim (prevent it from fraying and stay tacked down tightly) and stuck that to the main panel, which I distressed along the edges.

Recipe:
Stamps: MFT
Ink: Memento Tuxedo black, Colorbox chalk ink- Toffee
DP: The Girls Paperie
CS: SU, TE (choice snow white)
Dies: Spellbinders, MFT, Papertrey Ink
Punches: SU
Other: Copics. prismacolor pencil, brad (SU), sewing machine, thread, bigshot, denim, dimensionals, spray bottle

All this thinking about Nurses makes me think that it's about time I work on my resume and get back into the swing of things in the working world!! See ya soon!
Jenny

1 comment:

Michele Boyer said...

LOVE the denim and scrappy flower!! :)