Friday, January 28, 2011

{TCPTUES140} Miss Ewe Snowbirds!

I've probably mentioned this before, but my mom and dad and 'snowbirds' (for those of you who aren't familiar with that term, it means desperate Canadians that 'migrate' to the southern states in the bitter winters to warm up!) My parents take their huge RV and drive down to Nevada, Arizona, California and even wander into mexico for day-trips..... they are gone for 6 weeks and I hate it! I miss them sooo much (I'm a self-admitted 'mommys girl') Anyway, when I was making this card, I started thinking about my mom- the sentiment 'Miss Ewe' is what got me thinking about her:( I think that snowbirds used to be typically elderly types (maybe thats just a stereotype?), but my folks are in their 50's, so they are still young and want to go while they are still fit enough to 1) drive the RV, and 2) golf and drink! But for this card, I went with an older gal  in mind.....I threw on some fancy dazzled sunglasses (which I used sakura glitter pens, cyrstal effects and tiny twinkles on- a little extra from an MFT set- Bon Voyage?). I also gave her a nice purple-y blue rinse on her hair, as some older gals like to have (which I also gave a coat of spica clear glitter pen to). This card is so bright that I thought the shades were fitting for that as well!
I used TCP's apron lace die and cut it twice so I got the lacey look one each side. I used the TCP Tuesday inspiration challenge for this one, pulling out some of the colours in the hat. I also think the lacey dies look sort of like loopy crocheting. I used similar colours of bakers twine from The Twinery and wrapped them around the die cut strips.  I love this twine! It has great names, like lemondrop, pink sorbet, caribbean, and lilac. Plus you can get the sampler pack so you can try each colour and the shipping to Canada is cheap too! The rest of the card is pretty self explanatory. I used some SU circle punches for the sentiment and some polka dot SU ribbon. Not sure where the yellow button is from. The glasses and hair are popped up on dimensionals.

I kept the inside blank..I was thinking that if you are missing someone, a nice little note would be something you might like to add:) I used all of the colours and the TCP die to make more strips (single sided this time) and a little more twine and another yellow button.

2 comments:

K Andrews said...

Thank you for the great tips! Really cute card - so creative and colorful! Ms. Ewe has to be the talk of the town amongst all the snowbirds - do they ever make it to Texas?

Leigh OBrien said...

How fun is this, Jenny! Sooo great!